prevent the chemicals from these common products we use from being released
into the air we breathe, the water we drink, the food we eat, or harm our
garbage handler, these items must be handled differently.
- Paint, stain, varnish, thinner and adhesives.
- Auto products such as old fuel, motor oil, oil filters and batteries.
- Household batteries, fluorescent bulbs, cleaners and sprays.
- Garden products, including pesticides and fertilizers.
- Home-generated “sharps” waste in approved containers.
- Prescription and over-the-counter medicines, except for controlled
- Explosives, radioactives and most compressed gases. For asbestos,
railroad ties or treated wood call Altamont Landfill at 925-449-6349.
- The above is a partial list. If you have any questions about acceptability
of a particular waste, please call 800-606-6606 for details.
- All materials must be packaged in sturdy, non-leaking, closed containers.
- No individual container may be greater than 5 gallons or 50 pounds
- If you have a leaking container, place it in a larger, non-leaking
container (such as a plastic bucket available from paint stores); include
the original label or a note with as much information as possible about
the material and its ingredients.
- Do not mix different wastes in the same container.
- Place the materials upright in your vehicle; for safety, we recommend
placing materials in boxes in your vehicle's trunk. Pack the materials
so they will not slide, tip over, spill or break during transport.
Please drive carefully!
- Once you are at our facilities, our staff will unload your wastes.
At your request, we will save your motor oil and gasoline cans. Label
them with your name and phone number; they must be picked up on the
same day after 3:00 p.m.
Last updated: June 16, 2011
Public Works Department, firstname.lastname@example.org